Depending on the type of your backpacking trip, you may or may not require a tent. Trips that last a few days are require over night stays will definitely require proper tenting equipment. The two main options for tenting equipment are tents or using a tarp. In this section, we will review benefits for using a tent.
|Sundome 4 Person Tent||3||Read Reviews|
|Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent||4||Read Reviews|
|Coleman Evanston Screened Tent||3||Read Reviews|
|Coleman Pop-Up Tent||3||Read Reviews|
|Wenzel Ridgeline 3 Person Tent||4||Read Reviews|
|SEMOO D-Shape Door, 3-4 Person, 4-Season Lightweight Family Camping Tent with Carry Bag||4||Read Reviews|
Size Rating – tents are typically rated by how many people they can hold. It is recommended to purchase a size bigger than the amount of people you generally want to have. By having a size larger, it can be used for extra storage of clothes or any other personal items.
Season Rating – tents are rated by which season to use them in. Tents rated in a ‘3 season’ can be used year around and work well in all seasons except winter. 4 Season tents are designed for winter conditions (snow loads and cold temperatures). Newer styles of tents, convertible tents can be set up as a 3 season or 4 season tent.
Doors – most tents are either 1 or 2 doored. One door tents are lighter in weight, but less functional. Two door tents provide another way to get into the tent and have more functionality and storage options.
Below are four additional attributes that should be considered before purchasing a tent.
Weight for longer backpacking trips, aim to own a tent that is no more than 3 pounds per person. If backpacking in colder weather, expect to carry more weight.
Durability is a key factor to consider before purchasing a tent. What is the quality of the tent? If the tent is comprised of fabric, will that rip and tear? Review the poles to ensure it collapses/bends. Tents with poles are easier to set up, but not necessarily lighter in weight.
Versatility should be considered when planning your trip. Ensure the tent you select can withstand weather conditions (waterproof, hold snow loads, etc) and is easy to pitch and set up. Depending on your travels, you might want a tent that is easy to set up, with no pegs that allow you the freedom to camp anywhere.
Lastly you will want a tent that can be taken apart of stored in a small sack. Tents can add several pounds of weight to your backpack, so aim to find a tent that weight 5 pounds or less. 3 pounds or less is an option for an ultralight backpacker.
Best Tent Reviews 2017
Coleman Sundome 4 Person Ten
The Coleman Sundome 4, 9’x7′, dome tent is part of the classic Sundome series of tents from Coleman. The Sundome 4 sleeps 4 happy campers and includes a large door for easy entry/exit with a hooded fly to provide ventilation even in rain. A large rear hooded window also provides airflow for cross ventilation. Mesh vents on the roof provide additional ventilation and the rugged 1000D polyethylene floor is a bathtub style (wraps up the sides) for extreme weather protection and has welded seams, even in the corners, to guard against a leaky floor. The coated polyester fabrics on the fly and walls are rugged and durable.
- 59″ center height
- 8.5 mm fiberglass poles
- Floor 1000D Polyethylene
- Electric access port
- Rainfly awning for shade and rain protection
- Storage pockets keep gear organized
- WeatherTec™ system’s patented welded floors and inverted seams help keep water out
- Insta-Clip™ Pole Attachments stand up to wind
- 9 ft. x 7 ft. footprint fits 4 people or one queen airbed
- 4 ft. 11 in. center height, room to move
- Carry bag included for easy transport
Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent
Measuring 17- by 10-feet, Coleman’s Red Canyon tent is spacious enough to comfortably sleep eight campers. Ideal for weekend camping trips with family and friends, the Red Canyon features removable privacy walls, allowing you to create up to three separate rooms.
- Family camping tent can accommodate eight campers; measures 17 by 10 feet with a 72-inch center height
- Included room dividers allow you to create three separate rooms
- Coleman’s exclusive Weathertec System is guaranteed to keep you dry from unexpected wet weather on your camping trip
- Tent setup is easy with its shock-corded poles and easy-to-follow assembly instructions
- Cool-Air port and Variflo adjustable venting system allows you to adjust airflow and access gear
Coleman Evanston Screened Tent
Coleman Evanston screened tent has exclusive weather-tec system. Fully screened front porch area, keeps you dry. Modified dome structure, easy to transport and set up. Ideal for family car campers, scout leaders, & extended camping excursions. Insta-clip attachments for easy setup. Pin-and-Ring design with continuous pole sleeves. Ideal For Family Car Campers, Scout Leaders And Extended Camping Excursions. Features A Modified Dome Structure That Is Easy To Transport And Set Up With A Fully Screened In Front Porch Area For More Outdoor Camping Activities. Features: Exclusive Weathertec System – Keeps You Dry, Guaranteed. Designed For Easy Setup With Continuous Pole Sleeves. Exclusive Pin-And-Ring Design And Insta-Clip Attachments.
- Sleeps 8, with a footprint of 15 by 12 feet with a 72-inch center height
- Fully screened front porch keeps the bugs out
- 4 large windows for maximum ventilation
- Designed for easy set-up
- Weathered system is guaranteed to keep you dry
Coleman Pop-Up Tent
Coleman, Pop Up Tent, Sleeps Up To 2-4 People, Sets Up In Less Than 1 Minute, Lightweight & Folds Up Flat, Perfect For Festivals & Spur Of The Moment Camp Outs, Lots Of Mesh For Ventilation, Attached Rollaway For Privacy & Protection From The Elements, 7’5″ x 4’5″‘ Print, 35″ Center Height.
- 185T 68D Fire and water resistant polyester fly
- Room for two camp pads
- Pre-assembled poles for easy 10-second setup
- Taped floor seams help keep you dry
- Multi-position rainfly for the perfect balance of protection and ventilation
- Packs up flat for easy storage
- Two storage pockets to organize your gear
Wenzel Ridgeline 3 Person Tent
The Wenzel Ridgeline is a 7’x7′ dome for 3 people. It has seam sealed fly and a welded polyethylene floor to keep you dry. The shockcorded fiberglass frame uses multi diameter poles to create a stronger and roomier tent. The Weather Armor polyester fly has good UV properties and will not stretch or sag in wet weather. There is a built in E-Port for running electrical cords if necessary. Both the front and rear windows are covered by the fly so you can leave them open even in rain which means great ventilation. And of course they both have Storm Flaps so you can close them when needed.2 windows.Mesh roof aids in ventilation and reduces condensation.Shockcorded fiberglass frame for easy set up.Polyester fly is tough and durable and won’t stretch when wet.Interior Storage pocket and gear loft included.Easy convenient clip & sleeve construction.Post and grommet pole to body connection is fast and simple.E-Port for electric appliance cords.All carry sacks and stakes included.Fire retardant.
SEMOO D-Shape Door, Lightweight Family Camping Tent with Carry Bag
Extremely lightweight and easy to set up, this tent is perfect for hiking and travel camping. It is constructed of durable polyester coating to keep you, your guests, and your camping contents safe and dry. A large D-style door provides easy access and large mesh window panels provide excellent ventilation, view, and protection against unwanted insects and pests. A high strength fiberglass frame provides stability and a hooded front vestibule offers weather protection when confronted with rainy days. Meanwhile,we provide 19 pegs and 6 windproof guy lines to add rain protection.
- Materials: (fly & shell) Polyester with Polyurethane (PU) and Polyamide (PA); (floor) Polyethylene (PE); (poles) Fiberglass
- Lightweight dome tent sleeps up to 4 people; Roomy vestibule provides extra storage
- High strength fiberglass frame; Pole pockets for easy set up; Specialized inner tent material provides all-around ventilation; 2-ply design for ample rain protection
- Includes: Tent, 19 steel tent stakes, 6 windproof guy lines, carry bag
Family Backpacking and Tenting